Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mother's Day Brunch


We filmed a Mother's Day show where I got to invite my sister, DeDe,  to come over and help me prepare a brunch for our mom.  It was so much fun!  DeDe and I demonstrated how to make a Fritatta and a Ginger and Raspberry Trifle.  We also personalized some cute treat jars for our mom and both our mother-in-laws.  It was a really great show!

This is the Ginger and Raspberry Trifle.  This is one of my mom's favorite desserts, so it was a perfect choice for a brunch honoring her! 


It is really quick and easy to make.  The cake used is just frozen pound cake "from your grocer's freezer". (that sounded just like a commercial, LOL!)  Sara Lee is my favorite.


I love ginger in anything. In this dessert, it is the star.


If you've never used fresh ginger, you're in for a real treat.  It is so fresh and snappy tasting, it's great in any spring recipe!  I peeled and chopped the ginger root, and used it to make a ginger-infused simple syrup.



 After the syrup had steeped for 20 minutes, I simply brushed it onto the sliced pound cake.  


Fresh whipped cream is a welcome addition to any dessert around my house!



Building the trifle is as easy as

One....

Two.....

Three....


How could you go wrong with fresh whipped cream and raspberries?


Here is the recipe:

1 frozen pound cake, thawed
1 piece ginger root about 3" long
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2-3 cups fresh or 1 bag frozen raspberries

Peel and chop ginger root.  Place in a sauce pan with 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup water.  Bring to a boil and remove from heat.  Let steep in covered pan for at least 20 mins.  Drain syrup and reserve, discard ginger root.

Slice pound cake into 12 slices.  Brush both sides of cake with ginger syrup, repeating until syrup is gone.


Whip heavy cream with powdered sugar just until peaks form, taking care not to over beat.


To assemble trifle, layer cake, whipped cream and berries.  Repeat layers as necessary, ending with whipped cream.

2 comments:

  1. Shannon, I think I got a bit of this at your home and it tasted wonderful! What a fun episode to do. BTW your pics are really great! Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been fortunate enough to eat this at your house before and it is so good! How fun to have mom on one of your shows! I agree with Red Couch Recipes...your pictures are great. I also love your table setting!

    ReplyDelete