Friday, April 15, 2011

Wire Baskets


Anything old and "farm" looking, especially if it's made of wire, is all the rage in home decor right now.  I really like these wire baskets, but again, I don't like the price tag attached.  I came across some great ideas for DIY wire baskets here, and a really good tutorial here.  You'll have to check them out.  I especially like the lined one, on the first link, above her fridge. As soon as we get a new fridge in our kitchen, I am going to make one of these!

Besides one on top of the fridge, I had another great spot for these baskets, so I followed the tutorial and made a couple for my teenage daughter's bathroom.

This is the finished product.



When I first started this project, I wasn't super confident it would turn out.   However, it was actually a lot easier than I had anticipated it would be.  It only took me about an hour and a half to get these done once I had all of the supplies gathered. I bought a roll of mesh wire at my local hardware store for just over $5.  I already had the floral wire I used to "sew" up the seams of the baskets, and the wire cutters, so I didn't need to purchase either of those things.  The mesh roll also came wrapped with a long piece of wire that would have worked for the seams on one of the baskets. I chose not to use it because I wanted both of the baskets to look the same.  Now that they are finished, I really don't think it would have mattered.  You can hardly see the wire I used.  I still have enough of the roll of mesh wire left over to do a couple of smaller baskets or something else.  Not bad for less than $6!

At a fraction of the cost of the inspiration baskets, this was a very satisfying project to do.  It is always fun and rewarding to turn raw materials into something functional.  Especially if it will help my teenager stay neat and organized!  Now that her bathroom counter is under control, what can I find to help her bedroom floor?

1 comment:

  1. Awesome baskets, Shannon! They look perfect in Lexi's bathroom. What a great idea for storage when you have limited counter/cupboard space. Keep up the creativity! I want you to come and do all of these fun projects for our new house. ;) Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete