Saturday, April 9, 2011

Eggs-tra Tasty Eggs for Easter!



Today was a super laid back day.  I didn't have plans to do anything or be anywhere, so I decided to play in the kitchen.  These eggs were so much fun to make and they are seriously one of the best desserts I've ever tasted!  They are made with a milk chocolate shell and a white chocolate mousse filling topped with a dollop of lemon curd.  SO GOOD!

I started out with a kitchen full of kids and these:


How did I turn kids+balloons into super yummy chocolate Easter eggs?  Let me show you.


Dip the balloons in chocolate, or in my case, let your kiddo's do it!


After the chocolate hardens, with the help of the fridge, pop the balloons and remove them.  Super simple and fun!  While we were doing this, we had one pop just after we'd dipped it and set it on the tray to dry.  Chocolate splattered EVERYWHERE! The kids thought is was so funny, so did I until I started cleaning it up.  It seemed like the more I wiped, the more there was to clean up still.  It was all over me, one of the kids, the floor, the walls and the fridge.  Thank goodness none of it made it to the ceiling! lol!


Once the shells are hardened and the balloons removed, you could fill them with any number of things.  I think they would be cute filled with an assortment of candies or really anything you can think of.  I wanted these to look similar to a Cadbury Egg, so I filled them with white chocolate mousse and used lemon curd for the "yolk". 

Here are the recipes I used:

White Chocolate Mousse
from Food Network.com

7 ounces white chocolate, chopped very finely
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

In a large glass bowl, place the chopped white chocolate and set aside.
Add the egg yolks and sugar to a small bowl and whisk until pale in color.
In a saucepan, over low heat, bring 1/4 cup of the cream to a simmer, and slowly add the cream into the yolk and sugar mixture to temper.  Pour the creamy mixture back into the pan and stir with a wooden spoon until it coats the back of it.

Pour hot mixture into a fine mesh sieve placed directly over bowl with the chopped chocolate.  Stir until completely smooth.

In another bowl, whip remaining 1 cup of cream to almost stiff peaks.  Fold half the whipped cream into the white chocolate mix to lighten and then fold in the remaining whipped cream.

Refrigerate until set, approx. 1 hr.


Lemon Curd
adapted from allrecipes.com

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 cup butter (room temp) cut into small pieces

In the top of a double boiler, whisk eggs and sugar.  Stir in lemon juice and lemon zest.  Cook over simmering water for 15 mins or until thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in butter until completely smooth.

Cover with plastic wrap and chill.  Put the plastic directly on the lemon curd to avoid a skin forming.


So, the egg shells are super fun, easy and very kid friendly.  The mousse and lemon curd are a little time consuming, but well worth it!  I love home made lemon curd.  To make this quicker, you could buy the lemon curd pre-made as well as replacing the mousse with an instant pudding.  If you are not in a rush, you will not regret the time you spend making these recipes from scratch.  They are really, really good!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, these are so cute and yummy looking. Chocolate balloon eggs are also on my list to make. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think this is a GREAT idea. Thanks for sharing it Shannon. I think I will try it with my grandchildren...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another great idea , I think I am definetly going to try these , I'm thinking of putting shredded coconut with green food coloring in the bottom and then maybe put some jelly beans , YUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a super cute idea! Perfect for Easter. They look just like cadbury eggs & during this time of year I always buy myself at least one! Thanks for posting the recipe! Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete