Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Sea Shell Bathroom Decor


I finally finished some decor for my guest bathroom.  This is what I had in there before.


Sad, I know.  I am so glad I finally changed it!  In our previous house, I had the main bathroom decorated with seashells and this print was one of three that I had.  When we moved here, I wasn't sure what to do with this tiny bathroom, but it really needed something on that bare wall behind the toilet.  The other two sea shell prints I had got lost, or the frames got broken, I'm not really sure what happened to them.  So, I just hung this lonely one.  I knew it didn't look that great, but it was better than nothing, and I didn't want to spend the money to get something new.   While I was blog hopping the other day, I saw some framed sea shells that inspired me to do this. I couldn't wait to get started.  I remembered I had a whole bunch of sea shells from the bathroom in the other house, and I have a stash of old frames that I have stockpiled for years, so I went and pulled a few out.  Everything I needed for this project, I already had on hand.  There is nothing more satisfying to me than doing a project that doesn't cost a dime!


 The two frames on the ends are solid oak, and the one in the middle is plastic.  I knew the oak frames would be perfect for what I had in mind, but I wasn't sure how the plastic one would do with the paint/stain treatment I was about to put it through.  I primed it with a spray primer made for plastic and then I spray painted all of the frames with Krylon spray paint in Ivory.


I wanted the frames to have a weathered/aged look, so after painting them I sanded them a little to scuff them up and stained them with a dark mahogany stain.  Again, I wasn't sure how the plastic frame would do, but it came out fine.  It was a little more time consuming to get "just right" than the wood frames.  It also took longer for the stain to dry on the plastic frame, but it was well worth putting in the extra time.



After all the painting was done, I covered the backs of each frame with burlap using spray adhesive.  I then hot glued the sea shells in place, and that's it!  

before

after

It was that simple to create these works of art!  Who knew it could be that easy to fancy up your bathroom?

3 comments:

  1. I love the way these frames turned out! They look so much better than just your typical oak frames. I'm really loving the use of burlap in your frames too. You can't beat an art project that didn't cost you a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really pretty . I have collected tons of frames through the years as well I think I might try this only my bathroom is butterflies ( for the moment til I change my mind again )

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, your bathroom looks really nice! I like the toilets, the rounded edges make it look different without being weird, and it really fits the chic look of the rest of the bathroom! Well done on making it look so beautiful on such a small budget :)
    Bathroom Remodeling Arlington VA

    ReplyDelete